1. Offer other websites free content to post on their website. Include your link on all of your content. The content should be related to your website because it will be in front of your target audience.
2. When you visit a website you’ve enjoyed a lot, write a review for the site. Write about the benefits you gain from the website. Tell them they can publish it on their website if they link to your website.
3. Allow other people to publish your e-zine on their website. Include your website’s ad and link in each issue you publish. This may also help you increase the number of people that subscribe to your e-zine.
4. Market your website as a free web book. Design your website with a title page, table of contents, chapters, etc. Just allow other people to give away the web book by linking to your website.
5. Give your visitors an instant article directory. Tell your visitors they can instantly add a free article directory to their website by linking to yours. Just place your ad or banner ad on top of the article directory for your main website.
6. Allow other websites to use your discussion board for their website visitors. Just have them link directly to the discussion board. Include your websites ad or banner ad at the top of the discussion board.
7. Start a members-only website. Tell visitors what’s in your members-only site and what it costs to gain access. Offer them a free membership if, in exchange, they link to your website.
8. Offer your visitors a free sign-up to your affiliate program. Pay them commission to sell your products or services. Just give them an affiliate link to track their sales. People will link to your website to make extra money.
9. Create your own award site for other websites. Give the winners a graphic or text link to place on their website when they win. This will link your website to theirs and draw more traffic to your website.
10. Are you an expert on a particular subject? Offer people free consulting via e-mail if, in exchange, they either link to your site. People will consider this a huge value because consulting fees can be very expensive.
11. When you purchase a product, and it exceeds your expectations e-mail the business a testimonial. Make sure your statement is detailed. Give them permission to publish it on their website if they link to your site.
12. Create a directory of websites on a specific topic. Give people the option of adding the directory to their website by linking to it. Put your business ad at the top of the directory’s home page.
13. Exchange content with other websites. You could trade articles, top ten lists, etc. Both parties could include a resource box at the end of the content.
14. Allow people to download software at no charge from your website if they link to your website. The software could be freeware, shareware, or demos.
15. Trade other forms of advertising to people that link to your website. You could trade e-zine ads, print ads, autoresponder ads, classified ads, e-book ads, etc.
16. Give away webspace to people for free. Since you are giving it away for free, request they link to your site by placing your ad or banner to the site.
17. Join or create a webring. A webring is a group of websites on a similar subject agreeing to link together. To find a webring to join type keywords “webrings” into your search engine of choice.
18. Create an online club or association. Tell your visitors what’s included in the membership and what it costs to join. Offer them a free membership if, in exchange, they link to your website.
19. Allow people to use an online service or utilities from your website if, in exchange, they link to your website. The online service could be an e-mail account, search engine submission, web page design, copywriting, proofreading, etc.
20. Offer a free e-book to your website visitors. The e-book should be related to your target audience. Allow them to give the e-book to their own website visitors by linking directly to your website.